It’s Pi Day! So I had to make pie.
My meringue didn’t turn out great, probably because I can’t stand to do it with a fork and a blender apparently doesn’t work.
Recipe taken from here.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 TBSP sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 TBSP milk
- 4 TBSP cocoa
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 TBSP flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 TBSP butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 tsp sugar
- 4 TBSP sugar
1) For the crust: Preheat the oven to 350F/176C.
2) Combine the dry ingredients.
3) Mix in the milk and oil.
4) Press the dough into a pie pan and poke holes in it with a fork.
5) Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until it begins to brown.
6) Once the pie crust has been removed, begin on the chocolate layer by mixing the cocoa powder, sugar, flour, salt, milk and egg yolk in a pan or pot.
7) Being to heat the pan or pot, stirring until it begins to simmer and thicken.
8) Once the chocolate has thickened to your liking, add the butter and vanilla.
9) Add to the pie crusts.
10) Make the meringue: Mix the egg whites and salt.
11) Add the sugar and mix until it becomes thick (I used a blender as I do not have a mixer).
12) Add the meringue to the top of the chocolate.
13) Cook until the meringue beings to brown, about 10-15 minutes.