I didn’t expect this to turn out well, since I’m making it in a toaster oven, but it came out great flavor wise! It is a bit dense, so I guess I’ll have to work on using a toaster oven a bit more.
Recipe taken from here.
- 4 cups flour
- 4 TBSP sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 TBSP butter, cold, and cut into small pieces
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 cup dried currents, I used 1/2 cup cranberries, 1/2 cup raisins mixed with 1 TBSP of flour
1)Preheat the oven to 375F/190C or toaster oven to 150C
2) Mix the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
3) Add the butter and mix until the butter is no longer found in clumps.
4) Mix the buttermilk, egg, and orange zest in a small bowl.
5) Slowly add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture.
6) Mix in the dried currents (cranberries, raisins).
7) Flour a cutting board and pour the batter on it and knead it a bit until it can form a loaf.
8) Place onto a baking tray with tinfoil and cut an X into the top.
9) Bake for 45-55 minutes.
10) Allow to cool before serving.