We had lots of Parmesan leftover from having a block with no rind, and then needing a rind and still having a whole block left. I thought this was a good way to use it up.
Recipe taken from here.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 20 oz frozen spinach, thawed via the microwave and with the water squeezed out
- 1/4 cup milk
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
1) Heat the oven to 425F.
2) Heat the oil in a LARGE pan to medium heat.
3) Add the garlic and onion and cook for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
4) Add the spinach to the onion mixture and coo for 2-3 minutes.
5) Add the milk and cream cheese.
6) Remove from the heat.
7) Add the Parmesan, Mozzarella, pepper and paprika and mix.
8) Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
9) Pour the dip into the pan.
10) Heat for 20 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.
11) Serve with baguette slices.
Pasta salad time! It’s summer-ish (its humid and cloudy) so that means pasta salad, right. Recipe taken from here, but without parsley as I could not find it and without olives as I could not open the jar…
- 12 oz pasta
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped small
- 1/2 cup oil, not olive
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 TBSP mustard
- 1 TBSP honey
- 1 clove of garlic, smashed
- 3 TBSP dried basil
- 3 cups of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 head radicchio, chopped small
1) Cook the pasta in salted water until 2 minutes left until done.
2) Add the broccoli to the boiling pasta and finish cooking.
3) Strain and set aside.
4) Mix the oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, honey, garlic, basil and pepper.
5) Add the oil mixture to the pasta and broccoli.
6) Add the cherry tomatoes and radicchio.
Who doesn’t love Paula Dean? Maybe diabetics. Regardless, this one doesn’t seem too bad for you. Recipe taken from here.
- 1 bag of pasta, 500g
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 jar of olives, water drained
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup of balsamic vinaigrette dressing
- 1 TBSP sugar
- Parmesan cheese
1) Cook the pasta in salted water until done.
2) Drain and let cool.
3) Add the cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, olives and green pepper.
4) Mix the mayonnaise, balsamic vinaigrette dressing and sugar.
5) Add the dressing and pepper and mix before serving (I made the veggies and pasta before work and added the dressing when I got home so it was not too soggy).
6) Top with Parmesan cheese.
I saw this recipe with spinach, but cabbage was being sold at the market which is always cheaper and fresher than the grocery store so I used that in place of it.
- 2 TBSP vegetable oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 28 oz chopped tomatoes
- 14 oz tomato sauce
- 14 oz water
- 8 oz tortellini
- 2 cups of cabbage, chopped
1) Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot to medium heat.
2) Add the garlic and onion and cook for about 5 minutes, until translucent.
3) Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce and water and cook for 10 minutes. Add the pepper at this time too.
4) Add the tortellini and cook for 6 minutes (that was half my cooking time).
5) Add the cabbage and cook for 6 minutes, or until the tortellini is cooked though.
I was about to call this ‘tomato sauce’ but there isn’t too much tomato
- 1 cup of pasta
- vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- salt, pepper and chili powder
- 1/2 cup of mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup of frozen vegetables (mine were broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and peppers)
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes (in the future I would use 2)
- 1/2 cup of cheddar jack cheese, chopped into cubes
1) Cook the pasta until mostly cooked (it will finish in the sauce, as I learned from the book Heat and excessive watching of the Food Network)
2) Heat the oil in a large pan to medium heat.
3) Add the onion, salt, pepper and chili powder and cook until the onion begins to turn translucent (3-5 minutes)
4) Add the mushrooms and frozen vegetables and cook until mostly unfrozen (about 5 minutes). You may need to add more oil, if they begin to char but are frozen on the other side.
5) Add the canned tomatoes and cook until boiling.
6) Add the cheese and pasta and cook until the pasta is finished and the cheese is melted (3 minutes).