I’ve been on a bit of a hiatus from cooking and baking anything new since I’m saving money for a big trip and can only buy rice and soy sauce in massive amounts and thus only need to buy tofu and a few other things to make my favorite dish. However, now with a week and a bit left I’ve run out of soy sauce! I’ll be making more fries and sandwiches. Also, my mother has sent amazing amounts of food to me in Korea, and I’ve recently been cooking all those boxed meals to get rid of them before I go on my big trip. I’ve also been running around Korea doing everything I’ve been meaning to do and spending more time with friends because after the big trip I’m leaving Korea for good to go back to the United States.
I still have my oven, so this is either the last thing, or the second to last thing I’ve baked. Probably last because I want to make pancakes and then I’ll be out of flour. Cupcakes taken from here, frosting taken from here. I had to add the rum because I’ve also got to use that up too!
- just over 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 100g dark chocolate, melted
- 2 cups + 2 TBSP flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 TBSP cocoa
- 1 cup buttermlik (1TBSP vinegar/lemon juice mixed with 1 cup – 1 TBSP milk)
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/24 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp rum
- 3 oz dark chocolate, melted
1) Heat the oven to 375F/180C or toaster oven to 140C.
2) Mix the butter, eggs, sugar and chocolate in a large bowl.
3) Slowly add the flour, baking soda and cocoa and mix.
4) Slowly add the buttermilk and mix.
5) Pour the mixture (it will be very liquid) into baking tins and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
6) Allow to cool completely before adding the frosting.
7) To make the frosting, mix the butter and the sugar.
8) Add the rum and chocolate and mix.
9) Top the cupcakes with the frosting.