Really simple recipe:
- 1 TBSP red curry paste
- 1 tsp Indian curry powder (Garam Massala)
(I’ll give you the red curry paste directions below)
The head chef (mom) at Classic Home Cooking in Chang Mai said this was more Indian than Thai, but Thai people love it.
- 6 dried chopped red chilies, soaked in cold water for 5 minutes
- 1 chopped shallot
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 tsp Chinese ginger
- 1/4 tsp kaffir lime rind, chopped
- 1 TBSP lemon grass
- 10 black pepper corns
- 1/4 tsp dry coriander seeds, roasted
- 1/4 tsp dry cumin seeds, roasted
- 1/4 tsp shrimp paste
1) Put everything into a mortar and pound.
To make the curry:
- 100g tofu, chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 TBSP yellow curry paste
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp palm sugar
- 1 boiled potato, chopped bite sized
- 1 onion, chopped bite sized
- 2 TBSP cooking oil
1) Fry the curry paste with oil in a wok on low heat.
2) Add the coconut cream and keep stirring until the oil becomes separated.
3) Add the tofu, fish sauce, palm sugar and coconut milk.
4) Up the heat to medium.
5) Add the potatoes, onions, and bring to a boil.
6) Cook until the potatoes can be pricked easily with a fork.