After Thailand we went to Cambodia. Due to political protests, I could not take a cooking class there. Next was Vietnam. The class was in Hoi An at the Hong Phuc Restaurant.
- 1/4 liter vegetable oil for frying
- 10 pieces of rice paper softened by brushing lemon juice or egg on them
- Spring Roll Mix
- 3 green beans finely chopped
- 1/4 onion finely chopped
- a bit of dry rice noodles
- 1/2 medium potato
- 1/4 medium carrot
- 1/2 medium choko (sweet potato, toro, brown tuber, yam)
- 3 dried Chinese mushrooms (buy dry and put in hot water for 2 minutes)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp pepper
- Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 TBSP fish sauce
- the juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- chili to taste
- 1/2 tsp of water
1) Begin heating the oil (a wooden or bamboo chopstick or spoon should bubble when placed in).
2) Mix all of the mix ingredients together with chopsticks.
3) Place the mixture on the rice paper in a long thin line (like a cigar).
4) Roll it twice.
5) Fold in both ends.
6) Continue to roll until it looks like a piece of mail.
7) Add the rolls to the oil and turn often until light brown.
8) Lift them out one at a time and cut in half with scissors.
9) Add the rolls back into the oil.
10) Cook until the inside is brown and drain in a colander.
11) Mix all the sauce ingredients together and serve.