Again, at Hong Phuc Restaurant.
- 400 grams snapper or other fish
- 7 banana leaves per fish
- 3 stems of lemongrass, cut very finely
- 1 knob of ginger, sliced
- a bit of spring onion, cut very finely and stir fried in 1/2 tsp of butter
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 pinch of sugar
- lemon sauce
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp pepper
1) Slice pockets into both sides of the back spine of the fish. Basically gills to tail and then down to the bottom at the tail and halfway down near the gills. Don’t pull it off.
2) Mix the filling together.
3) Stuff inside the fish on each side. Don’t worry if it’s sticking out.
4) Place two banana leaves slightly overlapping on the table.
5) Place the fish on top, with both ends still inside the banana leaves.
6) *at this point, the directions I’ve been given fail me, and I hardly remember how to do it* use the rest of the 5 leaves to wrap it without tearing the leaves.
7) Cook for 10 minutes on each side over a barbecue (or 12 minutes each side in the oven). If you’re worried about the leaves opening, use the cage thingy that I see people use for sausages.
8) Remove leaves, skin and bones.
9) Mix the sauce ingredients together.
10) Pour the sauce over the fish.