Recipe taken from here, but halved and with extra lemon! It’s almost like a granola bar. I found the bottom a bit dry on it’s own, but when mixed with the rest it’s great.
- 1 1/8 cups flour
- 1/6 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup + a bit of butter
- 1 TBSP cold water
- 2 apples, peeled and diced
- 2 TBSP sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/6 cup raisins
- 1/6 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1/3 cups walnuts, chopped
1) Preheat the oven to 380F/180C or the toaster oven to 135C.
2) Mix the flour, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and butter.
3) Slowly add the water until the mixture forms a dough that sticks together.
4) Press half into the bottom of a tin or baking tins and bake for 20 minutes. Place the rest of the dough in a plastic bag or cling wrap and freeze. After this I turned off the toaster oven not to waste electricity because the apples had to cool as well.
5) Add the apples, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice into a pan over low heat until the sugar dissolves.
6) Increase the heat to medium and place a lid on the pot and cook for 10 minutes, keeping an eye on them because they could burn.
7) Allow to cool before mixing in the raisins and cranberries.
8) Add the raisins and cranberries. This was when I turned the toaster oven back on.
9) Place on top of the dough.
10) Grate the frozen dough and mix with the walnuts and oats.
11) Sprinkle on top of the apple mixture.
12) Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden.