Going through a tofu craze. I thought the sugar would make this a bit too sweet but it doesn’t. For the second serving I added lemon juice and it made it even better (lemon and lime are my favorite flavors so that’s not too surprising). Recipe taken from here.
- 1 block of tofu, sliced
- 3 tsp salt
- hot water
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1-2 chilli peppers, de-seeded and chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
1) Put the tofu in a bowl and add 2 1/4 tsp salt and the hot water so it just covers it and let sit 15 minutes.
2) Dry the tofu. I do this by placing 4 layers of paper towels on a flat surface, the tofu, and then 4 more layers, topping it with something heavy (a large bowl with heavy cans or jars in it). It should dry for about 15 minutes, I change out the paper towels every 5 minutes.
3) Add oil to a pan, enough that it comes up a bit on the sides and heat to medium.
4) Add the tofu in batches and cook until it is browned, about 2-3 minutes on each side.
5) Let the tofu dry again on paper towel.
6) Add the garlic, chillies, and green onion and cook for 15 seconds to 1 minute, until it smells delicious.
7) Add the tofu and salt, pepper and sugar and cook until heated though, about 2-3 minutes.
8) Serve with rice.