I thought the sauce was fantastic for this and I was amazed my mozzarella was actually good. Recipe taken from here.
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 TBSP dried basil
- 1 cup of water
- 1/3 cup Parmesan
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 3 TBSP Italian seasoning (I used a mix of Rosemary, Basil and Thyme)
- 1 block of tofu, drained and dried a bit, sliced into 4-6 slices (depends on the number of sandwiches you want to make)
- 4 TBSP olive oil
- 2 slices of bread
- 4-6 slices of mozzarella
- 1/2 cup spinach
1) Heat the tomatoes, garlic, basil and water in a pan until thickened (it takes about 10-15 minutes, so don’t worry!)
2) Mix the Parmesan, bread crumbs and Italian seasoning.
3) Dip the tofu in the egg and then the Parmesan mixture.
4) Heat half the olive oil in a pan and add the tofu, cooking on medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side.
5) Top as such: bread, tomato sauce, tofu, mozzarella cheese, tomato sauce and bake on ‘toast’ setting for 2-4 minutes.
6) Heat the rest of the olive oil in a pan.
7) Add the spinach and cook until wilted, about 2-3 minutes.
8) Serve on the side, or on top of the sandwich.