I wanted to show off ways to use tofu and this seemed like a great way! Taken from here.
- 4 TBSP olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cups onion, diced
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper powder
- 1 block of tofu, dried and crumbled
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- pasta sauce
1) Heat 1/2 the oil to medium heat in a medium skillet.
2) Add the onion and a bit of salt and cook for 3-5 minutes.
3) Raise the heat to high and add the mushrooms, garlic and red pepper powder and cook for 4-5 minutes.
4) Add the vegetables to a blender or food processor and blend a bit.
5) Add the tofu, egg, and 1/2 tsp salt and blend until combined.
6) Add the bread crumbs and mix until combined.
7) Add the black pepper and scrape out of the blender/food processor .
8) Make balls of about 1 inch and let sit for 2-8 hours (I went to work and came back and finished them off).
9) Heat the rest of the oil in a pan to medium heat and add the balls.
10) Heat until it they are browned, roll them over continue browning all around.
11) Add the sauce to a large pan and heat the tofuballs all the way though, about 15 minutes.
12) Serve with pasta.