Recipe taken from here. I used larger carrots than I should have so it has a much more carrot-y flavor than in their post.
- 3 TBSP butter
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth/stock
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp mustard
- salt and pepper
1) Heat the butter and olive oil in a large pot.
2) Add the onion, leeks, carrot and cook for 5-7 minutes until they begin to soften.
3) Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes until you can smell it.
4) Add the flour and stir until it disappears.
5) Add the vegetable broth/stock and bring to a boil.
6) Bring back down to a simmer and simmer for 45 minutes.
7) Remove from the heat and either use an immersion blender or put the soup into a blender and make it smooth.
8) Put the soup back on the heat and add the milk, cheese and mustard and stir until smooth.
9) Season with salt and pepper.