I wanted to make sugar cookies a few weeks ago, but went for Nutella instead. Then I STILL wanted to make sugar cookies.
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- whatever toppings you like! coconut, sprinkles, lemon, frosting (but I have no powder sugar)
1) Cream the butter and sugar together.
2) Add the egg and vanilla and mix.
3) Slowly add the flour, baking powder and salt. I did it 1/2 cup at a time and mix slowly so as to not have flour go EVERYWHERE.
4) Divide the dough in half and flatten into disks.
5) Wrap in plastic or foil and place into a resealable plastic bag and freeze for 20 minutes – 3 months.
6) Preheat the oven to 235F/162C or toaster oven to 130C.
7) Let dough stand for 5-10 minutes.
8) Roll the dough out on flour and cut into shapes.
9) Bake on tin foil for 10-20 minutes depending on the size of your cookies, rotating halfway though.
10) Cool completely and decorate. Mine came out a bit burnt in areas because of the shapes (see elephants nose)