Broken burner still, so doing something other than soup is difficult (by broken, I mean it only does high). Recipe taken from here with a few changes.
- 3 1/2 cups (28 oz) chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 carrot, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 leeks, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 tsp dried oregano, plus more for garnish
- 1 TBSP dried basil, plus more for garnish
- 4 cups of vegetable broth/stock
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup of Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 cups of half and half
- salt and pepper
1) Heat the tomatoes, onion, carrot, leeks, oregano, basil and vegetable broth/stock to a medium-large pot and cook until the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
2) Melt the butter in a large pot (different pot).
3) Add the flour and make a roux. Whisk the flour and butter together until combined.
4) Add 1 cup of the tomato mix and mix until the roux becomes red.
5) Add 3 more cups of the tomato mix and combine until the roux disappears.
6) Add the rest of the tomato mix, Parmesan cheese, half and half, and salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes.
7) Serve with oregano and basil.