I wanted to make Mattar Paneer but could not find cottage cheese in the grocery store in Korea. I’m sure I’ve seen it somewhere, but don’t remember where and it was probably costco which I don’t think I’ll be going back to soon as it is a hassle to get to.
I was at the store with a friend and she suggested making it. I thought I needed cheese cloth or something but she said no, because she had made it before with just a strainer. So I started looking online and no recipe was the same. Keep it warm or not? Allow to cool completely or not? So here is how I worked it.
- 1200 ml milk (2 pts)
- 2 TBSP (or more) lemon juice–I kept adding more when it did not work just by squeezing lemon so I would just have more on hand
1) Bring the milk to a simmer. Try to not boil, but it could happen anyway. Boiling means the milk will rise and try to come out of the pot, so if that starts to happen take the pot to the sink in case and stir to make the milk start to go back down.
2) Add the lemon juice and put on low heat, stirring often.
3) Add more lemon if you think it is taking too long or not working out how you think is right (again, I could find no real consensus).
4) Dump into a strainer with a bowl beneath it. If you think you can get more cheese out of the milk that is left, pour the milk that is in the bowl back into the pot and add more lemon. You will know you cannot get more cheese out when there is a yellow water, and not something that still looks like milk.
5) Add a dash of salt to the cheese.